Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Starting from Scratch

 

Well, my little preemie will be 4 weeks tomorrow.  I pray that he continues to be such a great baby.  He really is a joy.  Of course, he wakes us up in the middle of the night, has his fussy moments, but truly is a good baby.  I have been very fortunate with my two boys as they have both been easy on their mom in the first month of their lives.

For the past two weeks, I have been walking a TON.  We purchased a Bob Dualie from Craiglist about a week before Pete was born.  Thank heavens we did.  My three boys and I have been using it every day.  Because of the C-section, I am somewhat limited to walking right now.  (Shhh- there might be a few pick ups here and there Smile .)  We are always out and about in Hingham, so my blog header should be “walking in Hingham”.  But I am so grateful to be walking and NOT ON BEDREST that I will take it.

photo (33)

I still cannot believe that I have not had a true run since June 3rd.  Yes, it has almost been 2 FULL MONTHS since I have been allowed to run. 

In late May, I ran the Harpoon 5 Miler with my husband.  We had a great race, finishing it in 46:32 for a 9:19 pace. I was almost third trimester at that point, so I was just excited that I never had to stop.  My husband was kind and ran with me, and I felt good about running.

I kept running, and on  June 3rd, I even ran with the stroller and all 25 pounds of Jack on June 3rd- my last run.

Perhaps I was playing with fire.  I knew I had a complete placenta previa, and my obstetrician already had informed me that I most likely would have a C-section.  Secretly, I was hoping the placenta would just magically move. I also was rather committed to staying active throughout my pregnancy.  I ran until 38 weeks with Jack, and even did hot yoga and fast walking the week that he was born.  I truly thought it could be the same this time.

But, it simply was not meant to be.  On the morning of June 7th, I woke up bleeding and had to go to the hospital.  I was only 31 weeks at this point, so they released me on bedrest.

I have to admit, I was DEVASTATED,  I was not allowed to pick up Jack, my one year old, and that was the most heartbreaking for me.  Exercise was completely out of the question.  I had not been this inactive in years.

Fast forward to July 4th, I was depressed that I was missing our town’s annual road race and guess what- I was bleeding again and contracting 2-4 minutes apart. One emergency C-section later, little Pete came into the world.  The worst 4th ever turned into the BEST one.

Recovering from a C-section is so different than the vaginal delivery.  Thus, I have been very hesitant to push it.  And believe me, I am dying to RUN and RUN and RUN.  I am so ready mentally, but very nervous about the incision.

So, I walk.  Today I covered 6 miles.  It is slightly painful that walking 4 miles takes me the same time as it used to take me to run 8.  But, I will get there.  Small steps right now…. I am literally starting from scratch again. 

I am not my former self.  I have some baby weight to lose and need to tone up.  But, I know that I can get there.  I have faith in me!

2 comments:

  1. I have faith in you too!! You'll get there! I had a c-section with my first and have to have one for this baby too. It does take longer to come back but it isn't impossible! Oh and I am jealous that you found a Dualie on Craigslist!! I have been scouring it looking for one! Maybe I need to broaden my search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter is beautiful!!! Huge congrats. :) I had a c-section with my first and it does take a while to recover. i have no doubt you will be back and better than ever in no time. :) Hugs and congrats!! (And it is awesome that you are walking so much).

    ReplyDelete