Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Remembering how I became a runner

 

Tonight I had an easy run on my schedule.  Just 25 minutes easy.  For us that marathon, this run is typically harder than seeing a 20 miler on the schedule.  Is 25 minutes even worth it?

Honestly, I did not want to do it.  I had zero motivation except for the fact that my only physical activity had been my two short walks with my dog.  So, after I put the baby to bed, I hopped on the treadmill at 7:35 PM.  I was glad to be there, and honestly, I appreciated this run by the end of it. And, it was not simply because Jillian’s Yoga Meltdown was causing some delayed muscle soreness from yesterday’s tape.

When I ran my first slow mile of 9:20, I recalled when I first started running. I had joined a gym a few months prior and gained the courage to try the treadmill, which was a huge leap from the elliptical.  Then, I made it a habit to run one mile after my elliptical workout at 6.0 (which is a 10 minute mile).  For the first month, that one mile I ran was HARD.  But, I kept at it, and running became easier as I became stronger. And the rest is history.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that, it makes me feel so much better about my slow running and like I might possibly get faster someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9 years ago- crazy how far I have come!

    ReplyDelete