Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dreaming....

I read Elizabeth Waterstraat's blog this morning and a paragraph in her post hit home:


Within weeks of giving birth, I was already dreaming. Of where I wanted to go athletically. Starting over. Where would the story end? You always write your own ending. Mine ended in Hawaii. Why? Dream big. And a very hormonal, post-partum girl can dream, right? Someone told me, the year after pregnancy go big. You’ll need something wow to motivate you, something big to make the sacrifices worth it, something out there that seems so impossible that you, as a driven athlete, will be compelled to work hard to make it possible.


While I do not have any athletic dreams of Hawaii, I had visions of that blue and yelllow finish line on Boylston Street. I had crossed that line four times already, but I really wanted it in 2011, mainly to prove to myself that I could do it.

I ran 3:54 this past April, and I am slightly ashamed to admit that I was a little dissapointed in myself. I know many would love to run a sub 4 marathon, but I ran 3:36 last year and knew that I am capable of more. But that day, I honestly gave everything that I had.

So now, I dream big. I have a fall marathon on the schedule, and I am working with Mary to lay the base to run a solid marathon this fall. I love running right now. Just love it! But, I need a few other building blocks to achieve my goals.

In order to do this, I need to be more accountable to myself. I love running, but I have been sorely slacking in other areas. Since returning to work, I have not been to hot yoga, and its absence is hurting both my flexibility and core strength. It is true that I have little time to get there, but I need to find the time. I am certain that my little butt injury that sidelined me for three weeks was an indirect result of this. Even if it is JUST once a week, it will help!

I also need to clean up my eating. I am constantly craving SUGAR lately. It is so bad! But, I know that this crazy craving is not helping me lose those last pounds. In order to be fast this fall, I need to be a bit leaner and also need to give my body more nutrients.

So there it is, my plan to get to October. Let the dreaming begin!

7 comments:

  1. If you are craving sugar my view is, eat it. Usually your body crave what it needs and wants! so by not having it you will only make it worse! It is soo hard to fit in everything, don't be soo hard on yourself. Also what marathon are you training for? I am doing MCM, my first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably craving sugar b/c you are tired! You are going to have a great fall marathon. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi adrienne, i hear my own voice in your post and just want you to know that i "get" you! i am 4 months postpartum and i am very inspired by what you have done and continue to do since having your baby. i have run a few races since my baby was born and am planning two fall marathons. i want SO badly to "dream big" and set time goals for myself, but am reluctant to do that just yet. sometimes i feel so sure that i can PR so soon after having a baby and other times i feel so crazy and vulnerable. i don't know... right now, today, i am just setting sites on getting to the start line healthy, happy and grateful. but it is hard - i am so excited and eager to get going! anyway i am totally babbling right now but just wanted to let you know that i am inspired by you and i understand how you are feeling and what you are going through. i am pulling for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh sugar! I know exactly how you feel. It's awesome that you know exactly what you need to change in order to reach your goals. Yoga definitely helps, and I am also guilty of not making the time for it. Remember...dreams are goals with deadlines... It's time to get started! I can't wait to read about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which fall marathon are you doing? I am a true believer in giving in to cravings, but replacing them with healthier alternatives. Watermelon and grapes are as close to candy as possible. Also, fruit leather (from TJ) is basically candy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this. good luck with your dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Adreienne! Okay, I am officially adding you to my blogroll and thought I already had (not that I'm any better at keeping up with that these days) but when I get here I see I've missed out. Love this post! I agree with AM in giving in to cravings...at least in moderations. This keeps me focused the rest of the week. Big goals are so good for your life! Go get 'em at that fall marathon! Thanks for sharing this passage. Happy Friday to you! And the rest of the signs on my post were for everyone...I should have clarified.

    ReplyDelete