Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Reflection

It is finally sunny and nice here in Boston. Though I should be outside, baby Jack is finally taking a nap. Call me crazy, but I will take being inside if it means that the child sleeps.

Sitting here on the couch gives me the opportunity to reflect on Memorial Day. When I first started dating my now husband, I knew very little about the military. A career in the armed forces was just not a common path for the New England crowd that I run in.... except for Bill. I knew when I started dating him that our relationship was going to be somewhat rocked by this whole military thing, but thought initially that the biggest challenges would be due to distance. After all, he was becoming a lawyer in a peacetime military.

Like all Americans, my world was rocked by 9.11. I will never forget the chaos of that day. Was this person okay? Thank heavens that another skipped a breakfast meeting at WTC that morning! I am sure that each and every one of us has not just one story but many. We use that day not just to recall the fallen, but it also serves as a reminder of how truly blessed we all are. No matter how tough life might seem, nothing compares to the tragedy that many families continue to experience each day.

It was after 9.11 that I finally began to understand the military. Bill, then my boyfriend, prepared for deployment to Afghanistan. I marveled at the bravery of the soldiers and also at the strength of the extended military family. Words cannot describe the bonds that develop for those left at home.

Bill and I are very blessed. He served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and while he certainly saw danger firsthand, he arrived home safely both times. Today, when I think of those who died in the two wars that are still ongoing, I am slapped in the face by the reality that I am so lucky to have him. So very very blessed!

Others are not so fortunate, and I realize that. I will never forget when I heard that a young man named Brian McPhillips was killed in Iraq. I had not thought of Brian in many years when this sad news developed. I did not know Brian well, but he was a friend of my high school boyfriend. A Marine lietenant, Brian was killed in action during the first month of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Today when I go for my run, I will think of Brian. God Bless him.

1 comment:

  1. Adrienne, hi! This is Meghan Meade from Notre Dame, Meadowcroft...and Open Doors. I just came across your blog and am so excited to read more :)

    ReplyDelete