Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recovering from the Arrival of Baby Jack

 

Poor little baby Jack probably thinks that world is a snow covered place.  It has literally done nothing but snow since he arrived into the world on January 21st at 8AM.  Right now, in Boston, we are experiencing heavy snowfall with an estimated forecast of 15 inches.

The snow covered roads are making me feel a little less guilty about the fact that I have not started training for Boston yet.  Each week, I look at my running club’s homepage and become very jealous about their long runs.  I LOVE long runs.  They are my favorite workout.  But, I am still recovering from the arrival of Baby Jack and just not ready to pound the pavement for hours yet.

No one EVER told me that recovering from birth would be this difficult.  Maybe it was my own naivety, but I did not expect it to take this long.  I thought that keeping myself in shape would help with the recovery.  But, in the ten days since Jack was born, I only have been able to walk, and I ran a whopping two miles very slow on Sunday.  And, according to my hospital discharge instructions, these activities were illegal.  The doctor told me no physical activity for 6 weeks.  Clearly, she is out of her mind. It was not my actual doctor, so she obviously did not read that I worked out until the day before my water broke.

But back to the recovery- it hurts!  Jack was almost 20 inches and 7 pounds 13 ounces upon arrival.  He also required 4 hours of pushing- it took me twenty four LESS minutes to run the marathon last year! Needless to say, he tore me open on his entry into the world, giving me almost 20 stitches in various places and a severe case of anemia due to blood loss.  Last week, I was dizzy and hobbling and wondering why the stork did not deliver him to me.  Jack is TOTALLY worth it, but he certainly did a number on my body.

As a runner, I have learned to push through discomfort.  Recovering from giving birth makes me feel like a new runner again.  I am unsure of what is good pain and what is bad pain.  I am anxious, testing the waters, and uncertain.

*********

Today, we are once again stuck at home due to the snow.  I intended to go to yoga, but our driveway is VERY steep and I was nervous that I would not get back up it with the snow.  So, I lounged around most of the day (which really translates into nursing and changing the baby most of the day) until I finally decided to walk on the treadmill.  After 1/4 mile, I realized that it was not doing much for me.  I decided to run the next quarter at a ten minute pace.  Since it felt good, I kept going…. until I hit five miles.  It was a HUGE victory for me in this recovery.  It certainly was not my best run, but I felt like me for the first time since I had Jack.

Jack is 100% worth it.  I never imagined that I would have such a sweet little boy.  I cannot believe my body made such a wonderful little thing.  But, selfishly, I was glad today to see that now it can do more than just breastfeed!

 

IMG_0505

My two boys

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... giving birth = not so fun. It's like a giant welcome to Mommyhood! I think it is amazing and awesome that you ran 5 today. Your running is yours. :) xo

    ReplyDelete