Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Get After It

On Monday, Baby Jack turned one month old. Amazing- my little guy is getting bigger and cuter by the day. He weighs in at a whopping 9 pounds now. More amazing is reflecting on how physically beat up I felt a month ago. I literally felt like I was hit by a truck and had been on a horse too long- simultaneously. I remember walking with my very numb leg in the post-recovery room, on two hours of sleep and thinking that I was absolutely crazy to have registered for the marathon... (and perhaps absolutely crazy that this thought was crossing my mind at the current moment)

I honestly felt that I was never going to be able to run again at that moment. I could barely walk to the bathroom. And, then, the nurse practioner gave me the speech where she tells you not to exercise for six weeks postpartum as she was releasing me from the hospital. I wanted to cry. For the first week home, I felt terrible, sleep deprived and also jealous of my husband when he came up from the treadmill. I was not happy with my fate.

I came to the realization that I could continue to feel lousy or I could get after it.

Get after it- what does this imply for me right now? I need to set goals and go for them. Instead of just wishing I could recover from the labor and delivery, I need to be proactive about recovery. Physical exercise is a huge part of it for me, not just running but also yoga and other things. I also need to be smart about how I try to reach them. I must use a plan to get there so I don't risk injury. Hence why I am using a coach for the first time as I plan to run my seventh marathon.

Our attitude in life largely determines our outcomes. If my attitude is that I can succeed if I put the work in, this whole crazy plan to run Boston will be okay. If I doubt that I can do it, I am setting myself up for failure at the starting line.

Right now, my house may be covered in baby gifts and dog hair, I may not have written one thank you note, but my workouts are completed each day. And, I am so happy because of it.

1 comment:

  1. It really is SO true, our life is what we make of it. Running is SUCH a mental game and I think you are so smart for getting your thoughts and feelings out there and making every workout calculated and a part of the larger whole of kicking butt on April 18th. Get out there and get it girl!

    ReplyDelete