Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Improvising

Tonight our little group had to improvise. While I would run in a blizzard or a downpour (and I have done it in both), I am a little bit more cautious when it comes to my running ladies. As a coach, it is important that I encourage my students to push through adverse conditions. My job is to motivate and to make sure that we do not slack off. There is nothing worse than a coach that tells you NOT to work out!

However, I am like a worried mother when it comes to my charges. I don't want anyone to get sick from the rain. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I see the slime that pollen and rain creates on a sidewalk and I worry that a student will slip and fall because of it. Our race is less than a month away! I just cannot have that!

We went to plan B tonight. The small group that braved the rain and came tonight were such troopers. They agreed to head with me to the Spin room and get some quality intervals in. We may not always hit the planned path to the goal, but we can ALWAYS make it to the goal. Thank you ladies for understanding!

I have faced this problem myself before. Two weeks before Boston, I hurt my back. Like, OMG, I cannot twist to the side. I rode that Spin bike into the ground as I could not run- it hurt way too much! Moral of the story- I kept my fitness, my sanity and I ran Boston in my best time ever. I did not let a little detour keep me from achieving my goal.

_____________________________________________________________

Running students- run 2 miles either tomorrow or Friday morning. Saturday, we will meet at the Rec at 7:30 and head to the middle school and run back.

No comments:

Post a Comment