Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weekend Recap

My weekend could not have been better. Our temperatures in Boston were wonderful, and I was able to spend a lot of time with my husband. We are very busy during the week, and it seems that we spend about one waking hour a day together. Thus, I am very grateful when the weekend allows us to actually see each other. (And, it involved a trip to Blue Hills Brewery - even better!)

Saturday, Leann and I set out to do our last long run in preparation for Boston next week. Leann recently moved to Melrose, so I headed up there early Saturday morning to explore a new running route. With my cup of Fresh Market Spring Blend in hand, I walked out the door in shorts, a long sleeve tee shirt and a vest. It was 40 degrees and windy. Yes, I am a crazy New England runner. Even Leann thinks so- walking into her house, she looked at me and asked me if I wanted pants. I declined. Spring has sprung here in Massachusetts, and I am determined to celebrate it, white legs and all.

Our exploration took us to Breakheart Reservation in Saugus. She warned me that it was hilly, but I shrugged it off. I should have listened better. It was a loop of rollers. Short but steep inclines that made me feel awful but good. One week before Boston, I am not sure that we should have challenged ourself the way that we did. However, it felt awesome to push it, and my inner adrenaline junkie was satisfied. I chased Leann up them- she is an incredible hill climber. She calls herself my friend, but in all these years of running with her, she has not let me in on her secret.

We looped this crazy route twice, receiving lots of looks from the numerous walkers and dogs that were present. Having our fix, we headed back to her house. On the way there, a realization hit us. Neither one of us had bothered to wear a watch, bring water or pack a thing of GU. The two of us have 16 marathons between us. You think one of us would remember those basic necessities. I did have a credit card in my pocket, but really, how would that have helped in a State Park? We think we ran about 10 miles based on our elapsed time, but two spaced out ladies apparently should not head out for long runs together.

Returning to the South Shore, I decided to head to Cohasset and pick up my race number. I was still filled with indecision about the race, but realized getting my packet did not mean that I had to race. I hemmed and hawed it for a day. Finally, at our water stop for L Street this morning, Leann convinced me that it was okay not to race it. My brother-in-law needed my help, I was nervous about my back and I had a kick butt run the day before. I was setting myself up for mental anguish, and I do not need a bad (in Adrienne's mind) race one week before Boston. Enough!

I love the Cohasset by the Sea course. It may be my favorite course of all times. The route is challenging with rollers and wind, but the beauty of the ocean causes me to forgive these details. While we were helping his brother, I suggested to Bill that we head to Cohasset afterwards and run the ocean part of the course and then run it back. My husband of the year was game. Our run was spectacular. He paced me well, and we ran strong. The sun shined on us, the ocean sang to us and all was good in my little world. Clearly, my stress free run on the course was a much better idea than stressing myself out with a race.

This week won't bring much running, but I am content with that. My back is better (knock on wood), and my runs have satisfied my soul this week. I have enjoyed running this week, and gained a fresh perspective on how it invigorates me. One week to Boston- if I can stay in this mindset, I know I can be happy with what the day brings.

1 comment:

  1. You're going to have a great Boston!! GOOD call on the race... Running a little 5K the week before Boston might be okay, but that 10K is especially hard.... The wind and hills make for an extremely challenging race! Good luck next week!

    ReplyDelete