Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Notes for Learn to Run students

Tomorrow night starts the first night of Learn to Run at the Hingham Rec- I will post our route in a separate post. However, I found what I wrote last year to my students, and all my advice is the same. I thought I would cut corners and repost here....

____________________________________________________________________________




Wednesday Night Run
Tonight we will be starting with an approximate 2.5 mile loop. Our workout will be as follows- 2 minute walk followed by 1 minute run. We will repeat until we finish the loop. I have pasted the route below- don't worry I will get us to that 2.5! Wear running clothes and sneakers. We will also stretch to close out class. See you at 7 PM!

Posted by Adrienne at 9:09 PM 0 comments
Sunday, April 26, 2009

Learn to Run 101 Introduction Email
Dear Students:

Hello and welcome to Learn to Run 101! I want to congratulate you on taking the plunge and registering for this class. Commitment to a goal is scary at times, but it is somewhat liberating once we make such a decision. (And, yes, that quote from the Starbucks cup resonated with me!)

I look forward to meeting you all on Wednesday night, but I thought I would send a short email to you all to introduce myself.

I never ran in high school or college. Instead, during high school, I was a competitive figure skating. My college years found me on the water as a member of the BC Varsity Sailing Team. My point being, I was never involved in a sport that involved any sort of running. In 2001, a year out of college, I joined a gym. It was completely new to me, but I stuck with it. I progressed as we all do and will, and I hate to be so cheesey, but I fell in love with exercise. I loved the way I felt (endorphins are not a myth), I enjoyed that there were clear physical benefits to it (no use to lie!), and most importantly, I adored that NO ONE could interrupt me while I was at the gym. I was not a cardio afficionado that first year, but mainly focused on Pilates and Body Blast classes.

My second year I started Spinning. I was afraid of it the first year and never tried it, (the people looked too intense!) but my second grade teacher was an instructor at the gym and made me go to her class. I started doing a walk/run on the treadmill, and I made the 2003 Hingham Road Race a goal. I finished and was so proud of myself. I set a goal and accomplished it! It is probably my most important milestone still, as I NEVER thought I would be a runner.

Since then, I have run marathons, become a Spin instructor and run every Hingham Road Race since. In my non-exercise life, I have changed jobs twice, earned a Master's Degree and married my husband. I don't want you to think that I am trying to express how great I am- I am not great by any means. However, what I want you to know is that anyone can become a runner, no matter how busy or how hectic your life is. It is all about making time for exercise; it will not have to be the main priority in your life.

Okay, so that's me! Now, here are some things to know.

(1) I will be posting all of our workouts on my blog that I have created for the class, and will also recap the class, post answers to questions, etc. It is http://www.runninginhingham.blogspot.com/ if you want to look at it now. I have a few postings not about our class, but it will be mainly dedicated to our class once we start Wednesday.

(2) I sent you my phone number via email. I am best reached between 7:30 and 8:30 AM and 4:30 and 5:30 PM. (That is my work commute; did you figure that one out?) However, you can call me at other times at well. You should NOT hesitate to call or email me if you have ANY questions or concerns that you think of outside of class.

(3) We will be following a WALK to RUN program; you will see how this works on Wednesday. Please do not be impatient with it. We are acclimating your body to running to ensure that ten weeks from now, your body will be injury free when you approach the start line on July 4th. There is a method to the madness!

(4) You will work with me two days a week, but you will need to have two other workouts during the week. You will have flexibility on the days. I will tell you exactly what you need to do each week.

(5) Please make sure that your sneakers are up to date. Old shoes that are from five years ago will lead to injuries. If you need suggestions here, please let me know.

(6) First workout is Wednesday. Please come dressed to run outside. We will do introductions, do our workout and then return to the Rec to stretch. We will meet in the game room.

I look forward to meeting you all!

All the best,
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment