Friday, March 26, 2010

Less than One Month

Boston is less than one month away. Do I feel ready? Who knows? Race day always brings the unexpected, and sometimes one cannot worry about what will happen that day. In a way, this anticipating keeps me motivated.

Do I feel that I have followed my training? Yes! I was undertrained for the marathon in 2008, and I certainly do not have that fear this year. Marathon training takes commitment. Even when running doesn't seem appealing, we have to show up and be present. We endure and move forward.

My husband and I went to Puerto Vallarta last week, and I kept reminding myself of my fiasco in 2008 while I was there. Mexican treats beckoned, and I wanted to make sure that I had earned them. We arrived late on Thursday evening, so no workout that day due to a long day of travel. (We left Hingham at 4 AM!) On Friday, we set out to explore PV via foot and ran 6 1/2 miles or so.

Saturday morning, I woke around 6:30 AM and realized that while Bill was still sleeping, I had the opportunity to get in my long run. I told him I was off, and I headed down to the hotel gym. My plan was to run as much on the treadmill until he came to get me to finish the run outdoors. (I never felt unsafe in Mexico, but I was not sure if I should head out for a long run by myself.)I started on the treadmill, with an incline at 7.2 (8:19 pace). My hope was that I would get in an hour. The treadmill automatically stopped after 1 hour, and no husband in site. Oh well, I would just keep going. In the end, he never woke up, and I ran 16 miles on the treadmill in the gym at an ocean paradise while looking at myself in a mirror. Not ideal, but I did not want to keep doing loops in the actual property. I figured that doing that, I would receive more stares than I did while on the treadmill for that long. (And yes, I did receive many stares.)

On the treadmill for that long, there is so much time just to be. It was boring for sure, but a great way to clear my head. There is nothing like just using the miles to solve the problems of my little head. Peaceful afterwards, I truly enjoyed being present for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I notice you visited the hotel gym. Would you mind writing a review at http://www.HotelGymReview.com?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete