Monday, March 1, 2010

Hyannis Half Marathon Recap

Remember when you first started running and you wanted to go faster and farther? Do you remember the feeling that you wanted to be better? Well, that is exactly how I feel after this race. I don't feel like I left it all out there on the race course.... I don't feel like I gave it my all.

More of that later.... Here is the recap.

7:30 AM I met Courtney and Leann in the Derby St parking lot. Panera was open, and I totally wished I could get a Dutch Apple bagel. However, I realized that it was not in my stomach's best interest before a half. We left Hingham and then took the short trip down Route 3 to Hyannis.

I have run the half once before and the first leg of the relay last year, so I have some familiarity with the course. Based on the traffic, I think that the field might have grown even from last year. We were stuck in traffic, and some guy would not let us park where it SAID ON THE RACE WEB SITE THAT WE COULD. I appreciate race volunteers, and I pride myself on always saying thank you on the course. But, really! I then did what any proper lady would, turned out of the lot and parked in the one next to it instead of following his directions to head back out the road about a mile up. No thank you! My ladies and I did not need to add miles.

We were quite the stealth operation that day. We used the secret bathroom at the hotel, which I cannot reveal for then it will not be secret anymore. We sat in the car and kept warm. James, my work colleague, joined us. It was his first go at the half- he had never run a race that far before. I was so excited and nervous for him. I remember how I felt before I ran the New Bedford Half back in 2004.

Our little group headed out to the start line and got prepared. Like the good little kids that we are, we were in our corals before 9:50, as the instructions from the race clearly said. Most people decided not to be in the corals at this time, so we did not start until about 10:15. We were also pushed from the 8 min coral into the 10 minute one. Very annoying- the people who were late got to start up front. Why have a rule if you are not going to enforce it!

The first two miles were spent WASTING TOO MUCH ENERGY. Mile 1- 8:30 plus spent weaving and dodging slower runners. I am not a running snob- I promise. But, it was frustrating knowing that most of the people in front of me got to the start line race. I was still with Leann until mile 2, when by trying to stick with her, we ran a 7:25 mile. WAY TOO FAST! This was a complete beginner mistake that I should not be making. I realized this, and let her go. That fast mile had effects on my legs for the rest of the race though..... as did the eighty pound golden who decided to sleep on them the night before.

The rest of the race I tried to settle, and I pretty consistently ran between 8 and 8:10 miles. I was nervous about that fast 2nd mile, so I just went with the flow. Looking back, I am totally happy with my time- 1::46:19 and 8:06 pace. But, I am disappointed in myself a bit. I don't feel like I out down the hammer. I felt fine afterwards and not sore. I did not give it my all at the end.

Normally, I would not run the day after a race. Today though I needed to clear my head, and we experienced one of those late winter nights when spring is giving us a preview of its arrival with a brisk wind off the water and a slightly warmer temperature. I left Cisco, heading out to recap the race for myself. I need to not be so wimpy. I need to push when it hurts. I need to just go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment