Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Testing My Mettle

I love the old expression "testing my mettle". It brings up visions of perseverance, courage and fortitude, all qualities that I wish I had more of.

For this week's long run, I decided to change things up a bit. Most weeks I run on Sundays with L Street Running Club. It is a great group, with runners of every speed and shape, just full of good peoople young and old passionate about running. In fact, running with L St becomes somewhat of an addiction for me during marathon training. I love picking up Leann, fighting for a parking spot and then hearing Bob Grant's voice send us out on a run.

There is always that however though.... and the however here is that running with L St for all my long runs makes me a bit dependent. I get used to having three or four people who won't let me drop the pace, knowing exactly when to hydrate and eat because of the great water stops and the company of people who ensure that I get to the end. With the marathon, though, I am out there alone. It is every man for himself against himself. It is up to me to pace myself, motivate myself and bring myself to the finish line.

With Leann away skiing for the weekend and a shorter run of just over 13 on the schedule, the perfect opportunity presented itself. I could "test my mettle" Sunday morning and run by myself. It was a test of my first month of training.

I am happy to say that I passed the test.I felt great, and I knew when to push the pace and when to fall back. My mettle has been tested.

1 comment:

  1. I used to feel the same way about my long runs. I could not have imagined being able to do a 20 miler alone. But now I love them. I have a plan before the run (when to take GU, etc), lots of cool podcasts and music, and it is awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete