Thursday, February 25, 2010

How Bad Do I Want It?

Wow, I have been a bad blogger as of late. This little page is supposed to chronicle all my running adventures, and it would be particularly useful as I train for Boston. However, I have failed miserably in my last few weeks at my journaling.... I have literally been reading applications, sitting in admission committee, running, sleeping or eating pretzels in admission committee the last week or so. Really, I don't even particularly like pretzels. Hello mindless eating.

But, today we finished committee, so it is time to get back on track. I have been a lazy runner this week. Last Saturday night, my husband and I decided it would be really fun to go to Red Bones and then John Harvard Brew. It was, except for when the alarm clock went off the next morning and I had to run 14 miles without any support from L St. But, I got up and I did it.

Monday I was at work until 7. Thank you admission committee for no workout! Tuesday was a pathetic little 3 miler with Cisco the dog. By the time we finishing running, it was time to retrieve Bill at the train and then real life hit... I did teach a hard Spin class full of holy hills that morning, but I still felt like a cheater only running 3 miles two months before the marathon. Last night, I was a bit more on track- 7 miles on the treadmill with 400 meter repeats. It went well- Yay for me! And, I felt extra good because Bill went to a Brooklyn Brewery Event at Red Bones.

Today was a completely different story. Spin this morning with lots of speedwork- one of my students asked me if I was trying to kill them. The answer- absolutely! More committee and pretzels today, home to get Cisco, feed him and walk him, eat a veggie burger and then make dinner for Bill. I had the notion that I might run in the back of my head, and the notion that I should run in the forefront. Instead, I procrastinated and dusted and vacuumed. 7:30 rolled around and I realized it was now or never. I started the excuse game- I already did Spinning, I eat too many pretzels, I was tired, I have a half marathon with speedy Leann on Sunday. But then I asked myself, "How bad do I want it?" As much as I love the journey of training, it blows at time. But, we need it to get the desired results. I remembered how much I do want a decent Boston, marched upstairs and changes, and ran down to the treadmill. 5 miles- 39:30. Not awesome, but done.

Today was one of those days when I learned how to dig deep. There are less than two months until Boston. I need to embrace the opportunities to challenge myself when I am tired. I need to use those chances to grow and use them as springboards to get better and stronger. How bad do I want it? It has no words.

No comments:

Post a Comment