Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Training Thoughts

I had a great two weeks off. I spent lots of time with Cisco and my father and made lots of great food. I reconnected with a long lost love, as last week, I was able to go to yoga THREE times. I was so at peace. I love yoga. And, I love feeling like I got in on the world's greatest secret when I finish up a class with Joanne at Open Doors.

This week brings me back to reality. For the first two days, I spent the majority of my time working with the OACAC board to plan this year's summer conference. Northeastern is going to rock this conference's socks off, and I already miss Bridget, the president-elect of OACAC. She is a wonderful person and terrifically committed to the goals of our organization. Of course, I made us take a picture to capture our two days together.



Today brought me back to real work. I was the on call counselor and the phones were rather busy. But busyness is good!

My colleague James and I did manage to sneak to the gym at lunchtime for a run. We ran on treadmills next to one another, never talking, just focusing on our music and our own run while watching the Babson basketball team practice. Five miles and forty minutes, 9 x 400 at 5K pace- goal accomplished! We both commented on the walk back to Lunder that it seemed almost easier to be on the treadmill having a friend near. We both felt like the time flew by.

Tonight, after I picked up my husband, I headed downstairs to get another three mile run in on the treadmill. After my earlier intervals, my legs were tired. That was the point. Now that I am into marathon training, I need to teach my legs to run effectively when they are tired. Mission two accomplished- 3 miles, 25 minutes.

It got me thinking. That is the whole point of endurance in general. We need to press on even when we are tired, when there is no goal in sight. We just keep pressing on, knowing that we will be stronger for it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment