Sunday, January 10, 2010

Facing the Elements

I have been way too much of a treadmill lover lately. I know that I have professed my love for this piece of equipment on this blog, but I simply can never get enough of it.

However, the reality is, the marathon in April will not be run on the treadmill. It will be run on a course with a hill name Heartbreak. Enough said- I needed to face the roads. I needed to stop being a wimpy New Englander and start being a hearty one. Thus, this morning I headed up to Southie to run with L St Running Club on this cold winter morning, despite my husband trying to persuade me to just stay in the warm bed. He is very good about my running antics, but for some reason the first to persuade me to skip a Sunday morning run with the club.

I headed up to Southie, with a vanilla gingerbread gu in my back pocket and completely bundled up. It was 12 degrees on the trusty Saab's dash and windy heading out of the car. I reminded myself that I wanted to be a hearty New Englander who embraces the cold weather. I walked to the club and we headed out.

Rich was so kind to run with me the entire time. It was a delightful run despite the cold. We ran and chatted, and Rich was great at reeling me in when I wanted to speed up because I was cold. He really is the perfect gentleman when it comes to running. At the end, almost 12 miles in almost 12 degrees- I proved myself as a hearty New Englander.

Here is a profile of our run- ignore the heart rate stuff as it is Rich's= but you will see that we ran some strong hills to prep for April.


1 comment:

  1. I love the treadmill too....I'm going to try to venture out this weekend to the cold.... wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete