Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turkey Trotting

The annual Thanksgiving Turkey Trot is in Hingham tomorrow. I am signed up for it, and after last year's fiasco where I overslept, I feel I need to show up to it. The national holiday that is the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving did me in. (Although in all fairness, I grabbed Cisco, and we ran up to the finish line to cheer on my friends.)

I am not in the good 5K shape that I was earlier in the spring, and to top it off, I developed a nasty cold overnight on Monday. I woke up on Tuesday morning barely able to talk I was so congested. I made things far worse as I had to teach Spinning class that morning. At 5:30 AM, there is no calling around for a substitute. By 7 AM, I had little voice. Yesterday was miserable and closed out by falling asleep on the couch at 9PM watching the Biggest Loser. Full disclosure- I NEVER watch television. It is just not be thing and probably never will be. But, apparently, it was just what I needed, as I feel a bit better today and have more of voice. However, I am still coughing.

What am I to do? Am I okay with adjusting my goals? Although I am not in 7 minute/mile shape right now, I had hope to be in at least 7:30/mile when I signed up for this race. With this cold, I think that might even be dubious. When every gasp for air will be interrupted by coughing, I do not know if I want to put myself through that.

However, it is a community race that most attend as it is a great way to see friends on Thanksgiving morning. I am certainly NOT an elite runner, but why am I so caught up in what my pace will be? It is funny has even for the most average runner, running gets so mental. We want to maintain our paces, and get faster, not slower. We feel we need to perform at every race.

I think the plan will be for me to eat a big piece of humility pie. As of right now, I plan on being there. If I feel anything like I do today, it is not going to be pretty. But, I need to learn and to accept that running isn't always pretty. We don't always meet our goals, and sometimes speedbumps like illnesses can slow us down a bit. It will be a good mantra for me to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment