Sunday, November 29, 2009

I earned that teeshirt!

I felt like, well, a turkey during this year's trot. There was nothing pretty about it. Bill tried to convince me not to go before I left, to which I responded, "it is only 3 miles." When I arrived to get my registration, they could not find me. That was strike 2. But, the very nice woman gave me a number that ended up being another bad omen- it was number 13. I was standing with my friends Paul and Michael before the race, and both gentlemen tried to convince me not to run. Michael even offered to just hold my number for me and take it to the finish! I was sounding and feeling pretty miserably sick.

There was quite a crowd for the little 5K in Hingham at 7:30 on Thursday morning. There were exactly 1130 finishers. I think that is a great turnout for the morning after the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving as well as terrific for the Hingham HS Cross Country and Track Boosters which the race supports. So, I swallowed my athletic greediness and took off as the gun went off. I felt terrible from minute one, and I had no choice but to take it easy. It was the worst feeling. I had nothing in me that would let me push the pace. The whole entire race involved me swallowing any bit of pride that I had. I was coughing and barely moving the entire time. At the first mile, I was at 8:49. When I crossed the finish line, I was at 28:02. That ends up being a nine minute mile pace, so I actually slowed down! A few friends were waiting for me at the end, and one said, "Wow, you really must be sick because I cannot remember ever beating you!" She was rather pleased with herself.

I wish I could say that I didn't care how terribly slow I was on that day. But, that would be a lie. However, I furthered my pain tolerance. I figure that if I can run like that in the worst cold I have had in my thirty one years, then I can really start to push the pace in some other events. In many aspects of my life, I struggle with expanding my comfort zone. However, with experiences like this, it causes me to realize that I can.

I have not run since then and have only worked out on the elliptical thus far. It is a sunny but windy Sunday morning here in Hingham, and Cisco the dog and I are headed out soon to do his "sniff and run". I figure that at least I can blame my slower than normal pace on him- j/k.

No comments:

Post a Comment