Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Centering Myself

Today was a crazy day back at work after the holiday weekend. Our new interns whom I supervise started today, I was the on call counselor and with travel looming next week, I felt like I had a million small things that needed to be organized. I spent the morning plowing through things, and I was happy with my progress as noon approached.

I had brought my sneakers today just in case. I thought it might be one of those days when I left this morning, one of those days in which I would need the freedom and joy of a lunchtime jog. So, I headed out, and what a refresher it was. Never does a run fail to clear my head, to make my so called problems seem somewhat minor in the grand scheme of things.

One of my thoughts while I was out is how off the exercise wagon I have fallen. As I have mentioned before, I am a very goal centered person, which is often why I am training for some race. Motivation is my true center. I do not have any immediate race goals right now, but I want that fire in me. So, I have decided to create a yoga challenge for myself.

I know that seems ironic- yoga challenge. But, the thing is I love yoga and I simply don't make the time for it. Really, I love going to the studio, working through the asanas and then resting so gloriously during the shivasana. Namaste indeed! However, I skip out on it ALL THE TIME because I make the excuse that I do not have the time to get to the studio or have the time to give an hour and a half that the class requires.

Thus, yoga challenge- for one week, I need to do twenty minutes of yoga a day. I decided to start tonight. I downloaded a podcast of Paul Farmer's class, and I laid out my mat and started it. Obviously, for me, it was not as good as being lead through class by an experienced instructor in an environment where the community feel is encompassing. But, it is a start. If busy parents can figure out how to pursue their passions, I hope I can carve out a small portion of my day for it.

I am trying to get back to my center, and yoga is a great way to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment