Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday's Run

Another Running 101, another success. Despite the threat of rain, it was a solid recap. And, none of you seemed to notice that we switched to one minute on, one minute off.

A few recaps- first, what to eat before you arrive at 8 AM? I ate a a slice of wheat bread with some peanut butter on it; other suggestions that I have would be a banana or a yogurt. For some of you that may be too much or too little. If you learn anything from me over these next ten weeks, here it is- everybody's body is different, and the key to fitness success is coming to peace with that. If we try to compete with others, we cheat ourselves of finding healthy ways to seek improvement. We don't all fit into one mold!

Next thing, invest in some cool max wicking shirts. Especially as the temps rise, you will want the sweat to be off your body and not sitting in your clothes. On that note, a great new shop focused on female athletic gear (Sorry Wil!) opened up practically across the street from my house this week- Gettigear. I met Laura, the owner, today, and she is carrying some great items. She has crossover items as well as running specific items. (She carries a lot of great sports bras as well; I know personally that this is my most important running item!)

Homework- walk for 36 minutes. (I just mapped it out and I added one minute.) After every five minutes, run for one minute

1-5: Walk
5-6: Run
6-11: Walk
11-12: Run
12-17: Walk
17-18: Run
18-23: Walk
23-24: Run
24-29: Walk
29-30: Run
30-35: Walk
35-36: Run

I am going back to my running club tomorrow morning. It will be the first time that I have run more than 5 miles since the marathon. I will let you know how the legs hold up!

No comments:

Post a Comment