Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Consistency

I love being a teacher. Even though I left formal teaching five years ago, I continue to act as a teacher in my career as an exercise instructor. It may be the older sister in me, but I love to instruct and encourage.

Certainly, I have changed much in the way I teach from when I started at Notre Dame right out of college to now as I work with exercise students at the age of 30. However, the most important lesson that I hope to bring to my students is that of consistency. We achieve goals when we are consistent in meeting the stepping stones to them. Our relationships are strenghthened when we act in a consistent manner, whether it be in our personal or professional lives.

Why consistency? Well, simply put, it does matter that you show up. It does matter that you can be relied on.

In exercise, we build a relationship with ourselves. We promise that we will take this time to strengthen our body while nurturing the spirit along the way. Whether a beginner or more experienced runner, we all strive for consistency. It can be showing up to our practices each week or it can be dragging yourself out the door when you really would rather relax a bit.

All of us have these moments regardless of our ability level. Sometimes, we don't want to head out for a run.... there is dread there. That is the great equalizer for us all- none of us will improve or achieve our running goals unless we do not allow such thoughts to distract us. We grudgingly lace up our shoes some days, and afterwards when we finish, we realize that it wasn't so bad but was in fact pretty good....

Okay, enough of me.... Here is your workout tomorrow.

Minutes 1-5: Walk
5-7: Run
7-8: Walk
8-10: Run
11-12: Walk
12-14: Run
14-15: Walk
16-18: Run
18-19: Walk
19-21: Run
21-22: Walk
22-24: Run
24-25: Walk
25-27: Run
28-29: Walk
29-32: Run
32-33: Walk
33-36: Run

I have posted the route below- we are using another out and back. It is about 3.2 miles. Once we hit 18 minutes, you will turn around head back to the Rec. Not everyone will do the entire route, but it is NOT about the distance. Tonight is focused on time on your feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment